Saturday, February 11, 2017

Elle Evans Sustainable Swimwear

latina fashion blogger sustainable swimwear
reversible sustainable bikini
elle evans ethical bikini
cute ethical sustainable bikini
ethically made bikini
sustainable ethical swimwear


10% discount with the code BEYOUTIFUL 
Expires: February 18, 2017

Hey everyone! So, I haven't ever done a photoshoot of me on this blog in swimwear because I never found it appropriate or felt confident enough to do it. However, over the past three years I have been looking across the internet for CUTE sustainable swimwear that is tasteful and comfortable and high quality. Finally I found my perfect fit! This reversible two piece, is made out of recycled bottles! It is also printed with with water based, non toxic dyes and each order is made to the order.  I found that totally cool. Then I saw the price point, which is over $100 (but I used my discount above) for the set and was like, yieks! However, I thought... okay Christine. I buy swimwear once in a blue moon. Make this piece work for years and instead of buying one in the next six years, appreciate this for what it is. Also, that it's reversible makes it versatile four ways. :) I made a skirt out of mesh I bought from my local fabric store because the bottoms are a bit cheeky for me. As for comfort of this, IT IS SO SOFT TO THE TOUCH, and to think it was made out of recycled bottles. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Definitely an investment piece, but worth it for me!


Interview with Tanya Evans, Sales Director at Elle Evans Swimwear

1. What made you begin Elle Evans Swimwear?
I've always loved sewing and fashion and that combined with my love of the sea meant swimwear was always my passion. 


2. What about the fashion industry brought you to begin a sustainable swimwear line?
but after working in the industry for several years I was shocked at the amount of waste even a small company creates. Everything from the wasted fabric scraps to the amount of interdepartmental paper used! When I started my own label I made the decision to be as sustainable as possible. 


3. What critiques do you see in the ethical fashion industry?
I think it's very easy to say "this type of fabric is ethical" or "that company is unethical" but it's not always that black and white. I think the best thing we as consumers can do is look for company's that are open and transparent in their processes and make our choices from there. When in doubt, ask!


4. How is purchasing from your company making a difference in the environment? Socially? 
The fabric we use ECONYL® is made using waste such as old dredged up fishing nets and used carpets that are then regenerated into a beautiful nylon fabric. The creation of ECONYL® products are actually “waste positive”, this means the amount of waste removed from the earth is greater than the amount of waste resulting from production.  Aside from the fabric our products are designed with a longer lifecycle in mind and are built to last!

5. Where is the material produced?
ECONYL® recovers waste from all over the world; Canada, USA, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Pakistan and Thailand. Their fabric is produced in Slovenia.



6. Where is the apparel sewn and how did you find them? Do they also follow sustainable practices?
Our swimwear is all made in-house in Melbourne, that way we an ensure the best working conditions, fair wages and sustainable practices! 


7. Every company has issues and is always looking to improve. What does the future of Elle Evens Swimwear hold in regards to increasing environmental and social responsibility and business expansion?
We are still such a young company and there is so much we'd love to be able to do in terms of our environmental and social impact. Personally I'd love to be able to put more energy into consumer education, especially for younger shoppers, I think learning about the impact of buying that $10 T-shirt before your at the age where your buying your own clothes will help define this next generation as Eco-conscious shoppers.  


8. Where do you see yourself and your company in 5 years? 10 years?
Obviously is love to see our company grow, however I never intended this to be a large company and there are some fundamental principals we won't abandon that will restrict our growth, such as manufacturing locally. In 5 to 10 year I hope to see our company (and companies like ours) become more mainstream, my hope is that as shoppers become more concerned with environment they'll seek out sustainable products more and more. 


9. What is the inspiration for the cuts and prints and who is your target customer?
My inspiration usually comes from nature, I always end up designing a collection when I'm on holiday! Usually the print comes to me first, and the 'theme' of the collection follows. This collection my muse was a young Brooke Shields in blue lagoon. Her white cotton outfit that becomes more ragged and that she drapes and knots around her as she grows up became the inspiration for the knotted features, the white mesh fabrics and the fact that many pieces in this collection are reversible or can be worn various ways!
To me our target market is anyone who wants fashion forward swimwear but cares about what effect that swimwear might have on the environment! I like to think that we cater for all body types, and ages too with the addition of our TEENSY and TINY collections!


Ready to swim and take in the sun,
Christine


3 comments:

  1. Esther Kim12.2.17

    Beautiful swimsuit with a beautiful heart behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah these photos are beautiful, as is the bikini. Always looking for more sustainable brands

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
  3. How incredible that the swimwear is made out of recycled bottles. I know it's a bit expensive but I think it's worth it if you can find a swimsuit you love... I bought my daughter a swimsuit that costs $120.00 but it will last for years to come... quality is important xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the lovely comment. God bless & stay Be-you-tiful!